about me + my resume
I am an aspiring policy professional who is passionate about the intersection between the security and development fields. As a student at Barnard College, I applied my political science major to pursue internships with two law firms, two senators, and a presidential campaign. Through these professional experiences I developed research, communication, constituent relations, and writing skills. I have also built leadership and management skills through work as a teacher.
I am now pursuing a Master's in International Affairs at Columbia's School of International and Public Affairs, concentrating in International Security Policy. With this degree I plan on building off my research and studies in international relations as an undergraduate to pivot towards a more international approach to policy. I am confident that my work with public services organizations makes me a strong candidate for new experiences with a focus on international policy.
Columbia University, School of International and Public Affairs, New York, NY Expected May 2018
Participant in Dual Degree Program beginning Fall 2016
Candidate for Masters in International Affairs
Barnard College of Columbia University, New York, NY
Expected May 2017
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, GPA: 3.84/4.00; Major GPA: 3.91/4.00
Focus in International Relations; Economics Minor
Honors: Dean’s List: Fall 2013 - Spring 2016
Breakthrough Collaborative, New York, NY
MARTI SPERANZA FOR CITY COUNCIL
Director of Communications
New York, NY
January 2017 - present
- Create and maintain correspondence system for candidate; oversee team of interns in researching and drafting correspondence with constituents and other stakeholders.
- Write and edit communications for campaign.
- Oversee social media and online strategies.
HILLARY FOR AMERICA
Intern, Correspondence Department
New York, NY
January 2016 - November 2016
Monitored incoming correspondence on Election Day as part of a digital voter protection team, flagging potential voter intimidation incidents through the SalesForce system.
Engaged and corresponded with potential voters who support Sec. Clinton’s presidential bid, seek more information on her platform, including sharing potential compelling personal stories.
BREAKTHROUGH NEW YORK
Teaching Fellow, Manhattan Site
Jun. 2016 - Aug. 2016
- Selected from a competitive pool of over 650 applicants to serve as a Teaching Fellow in a rigorous 6-week academic intensive college access program for 90 high-potential, underserved middle school students.
- Participated in more than 140 hours of pre-summer training to master instructional and management best practices.
- Team-taught 32 rising 8th grade students literature, impacted student achievement by average gains of 60 percentage points (average of 37% on the pre-test to 93% on the post test).
BARNARD COLLEGE CAREER DEVELOPMENT New York City Civic Engagement Program (NYCCEP) Fellow
New York, NY
Sept. 2015 - May 2016
- Helped plan and lead NYCCEP's (Extended Barnard Reach Out) EBRO program to encourage Barnard students to think critically about how they will engage service in their lives, both personally and professionally.
- Engaged speakers to speak on various social issues; plan service projects and site visits for students to engage with issues.
KENNEDY, KENNEDY, AND IVES, LLC Intern/Law Clerk
Jun. 2015 - Jan. 2016
- Created presentations and visual exhibits to be used in court and in settlement or mediation hearings. Generate graphics to condense complex case information.
- Assisted firm's lawyers in client meetings and depositions; correspond with clients for case updates and to gather information.
- Processed and catalogued information relevant to cases; research and compiled reports on different issues for various cases.
SENATOR KIRSTEN GILLIBRAND
Intern, Constituent Services Department
New York, NY
Jan. - May 2014
- Worked under a constituent services liaison to help NY citizens who reached out to the Senator’s office. Portfolio of issues included: social services, transportation, IRS/tax refunds, education/student loans.
- Coordinated with constituents to gather information and provide them with updates on their cases; drafted correspondence to various government agencies to request aid on behalf of constituents; organized and assisted with events and press conferences.
LEADERSHIP & ACTIVITIES
Columbia University Pre-Law Society
Co-President (Apr. 2016 - present);
Marketing Chair (Apr. 2015 - Mar. 2016);
Publicity Partner (Sept. 2014 - April 2015)
- Create flyers, maintain social media presence, and coordinate other marketing efforts to publicize Pre-Law events.
- Designed logo and developed brand identity for the organization; doubled social media viewership and general body membership through marketing efforts. Continue to grow membership with consistent marketing tactics.
Barnard and Columbia South Asian Feminism(s) Alliance Design Chair (May 2016- present);
Community Outreach Co-Chair (May 2015 - May 2016)
- Develop partnerships and networks with South Asian organizations across New York City to support SAFA’s goals of creating a space for discourse and activism with regard to issues facing the Barnard/Columbia South Asian community.